Careers @ SHN Foundation
Thank you for your interest in working with Scarborough Health Network (SHN) Foundation.
Director, Stewardship and Donor Engagement
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN Foundation)
Job Number: TBD
Job Title: Director, Stewardship and Donor Engagement
Job Category: Foundation
Location: General site; travel is required to other sites and donor meetings as necessary
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Direct Reports: 1
Hours: Monday to Friday with flexibility for some evenings and weekends
Application Deadline: August 6, 2021
About SHN Foundation:
Situated in one of the most diverse communities in Canada, Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN Foundation) inspires the support necessary to improve patients’ lives through exceptional care at Scarborough Health Network across three hospitals and eight satellite sites. Since its inception, the Foundation has worked with generous donors, volunteers, and community members to raise funds needed to build state-of-the-art infrastructure and purchase the latest medical technology, supporting SHN’s vision to be Canada’s leading community teaching health network.
The work of the SHN Foundation team rests upon four core values that each member embodies in their work and interactions with colleagues. These core values are Teamwork, Excellence, Accountability and Management.
To support SHN’s vision to become Canada’s leading teaching community health network, Scarborough Health Network Foundation is in the middle of a $100 million capital campaign and engaged in a multi-year plan to grow annual revenue, and is seeking a dynamic, strategic professional to join our team as the Director, Stewardship and Donor Engagement. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Philanthropy, this role will develop and implement a comprehensive stewardship, recognition, and donor engagement program to foster a culture of accountability, service, and appreciation to SHN Foundation’s donors. The ideal candidate will design and execute meaningful touchpoints to create a cohesive and holistic donor journey and deepen donor engagement with SHN Foundation, collaborating with team members from Major Gifts, Community Development, Marketing and Communications, and hospital colleagues.
• Develop and implement a stewardship, recognition and donor engagement program that will celebrate, retain and grow donor support, and ensure accountability to our donors.
• Develop, plan and execute inspirational and engaging donor events (in person, virtual or hybrid) from start to finish, with oversight of invitation lists, invitations and programs, event briefing notes, and speaker remarks.
• Direct and manage an effective stewardship and recognition management strategy to acknowledge, recognize and cultivate past and current donors to enhance their relationship with SHN Foundation and increase the likelihood of continued and future contributions.
• Work closely with the gift processing team to ensure prompt acknowledgement; ensure thank-you letters are created for batching and receipting, and personal appreciation and thank-you letters for leadership donors, volunteers and other donors are created as required.
• Lead the naming opportunities strategy and plan, engaging senior leadership of the Foundation and hospital as needed.
• Lead in the development and implementation of a stewardship plan and strategy for the Annual Program with a focus on new, monthly and mid-level donors in collaboration with the Annual Giving program/team.
• Define the overall approach and direction in developing and delivering the annual stewardship report as well as customized impact reports as required; support the development of impact messaging, stewardship and donor communications.
• In partnership with the EVP, Philanthropy, lead and work across the Foundation teams to develop and enhance business standards, processes, and workflows including the development and maintenance of an annual calendar of stewardship activities with clearly defined roles and responsibilities of Foundation staff for clarity of execution.
• Lead in the development of how stewardship plans and deliverables are tracked and coded in Raisers Edge. Play a lead role in delivering stewardship reports.
• Oversee all donor recognition including donor walls, listings, and collaterals.
• Proactively support the stewardship responsibilities of the fundraising staff by assisting them in establishing and coordinating individualized stewardship plans for donors, sponsors, and other key stakeholders.
• Attend events as necessary.
• Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
• 6+ years of progressive experience in donor relations and stewardship with solid knowledge of major gifts and capital campaigns; healthcare setting preferred
• Previous experience leading a strong stewardship program
• Sound knowledge of best practices in donor engagement, recognition and stewardship
• Highly experienced in developing and executing stewardship plans, donor recognition, mapping the donor journey and building donor relationships
• Superior writing, proofreading, editing and oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging, and creative copy for stewarding donors
• Extensive experience in donor event development, planning, management, and coordination
• Results-oriented, with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
• Strong interpersonal skills to interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels including Foundation staff, donors, board members, campaign volunteers, hospital staff, and the broader Scarborough community and apply sound judgment
• A general understanding of fundraising practices
• Self-starter, who works independently or as a team member, with the capacity for multiple complex projects within tight deadlines, in a fast paced, demanding environment
• Highly skilled with Raiser’s Edge and management of constituency data
• Advanced problem solving, decision making, and critical thinking skills
• Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
• Use of a car to travel between hospital sites
• University undergraduate degree required
• Prior work history in healthcare, a Foundation preferred
• Previous experience as a fundraiser
• Knowledge of Scarborough Health Network’s catchment area
• Working knowledge of InDesign and Crystal Reports
• Knowledge and experience with digital media to deliver engaging, virtual stewardship and recognition opportunities
• Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.