Throughout the COVID-19 outbreak, Scarborough Health Network has received numerous food donations from community members, companies and restaurants who are eager to show their support to our front-line staff. Our hospitals are incredibly grateful for the tremendous support we’ve received from the community, as well as the commitment and passion from many individuals who want to help out in any way they can. If a donor reaches out to your department please direct them to contact the Foundation (email@example.com) to ensure the donation meets the necessary criteria. Commercial Services will work with your department to coordinate the distribution of the meals.
Due to restrictions around COVID-19 and sanitation guidelines, unfortunately we cannot accept food donations from private homes.
We must ensure all food coming into our facility: a) meets the strict production and handling guidelines established by the public health department and b) comes from facilities that pass regular public health inspections.
If a restaurant or other supplier and is interested in making a food donation, please see below for Hospital guidelines with regards to logistics and food packaging:
- Meals must be from licensed restaurants/caterers that comply with Toronto Public Health’s Dine Safe program and have received a pass notice on their most recent inspection
- Restaurants must also confirm that they screen their staff for symptoms of communicable illness including COVID-19 prior to any food being prepared for SHN
- Meals must be pre-portioned and individually packaged
- Utensils be provided and individually packaged
- We request that if possible vegetarian meals are also included, and to notify us if there are any traces of tree nuts
- Meals must include explicit labeling of ingredients (including indication regarding food sensitivities)
- Food donations can only be accepted Monday to Friday
- Specific delivery date and location are determined following consultation with SHN Staff
- Contact person and directions for delivery will be provided upon confirmation